Water aerobics: obvious benefits and hidden harm
Today it is difficult to find a person who would not know what water aerobics is. Rhythmic aqua gymnastics has gained immense popularity among the fair sex, who rushed into the pools, wanting to give the figure slimness, and the skin - elasticity. However, as in any sport, water fitness has two sides of the coin. We will tell about them in our article.
From the history of water aerobics
Many consider water aerobics a product of modernity, but its origins should be sought in antiquity. The ancient Romans, for example, annually in May organized water games on the Ostia lake, while Chinese martial arts masters forced their students to hone their fighting skills in the water.
In the Soviet Union, water gymnastics was used during swimming lessons for children, and later began to be used for therapeutic purposes, giving it the name "kinesitherapy". The author of modern aqua aerobics with a stretch can be called the American athlete Glen Makuoterza.Having been injured in Vietnam and having lost the opportunity to play sports, he invented a way to restore the mobility and functionality of the legs - by running in the water.
Modernwater aerobics - exercisesin water for all muscle groups - appeared in the early 2000s. It is not known for certain who adapted it for fitness centers by developing programs for body shaping and weight loss. This was done masterfully, because in a short time the passion for water gymnastics swept the whole world.
Water aerobics: use
Those who remember the law of Archimedes since school times know that a buoyant force acts on a body immersed in water, making it easier. Therefore, in comparison with the usual fitness water aerobics helps to relax muscles and relieve tension. However, do not count on complete relaxation: during the sessions you will have to work hard, because moving, you will overcome the resistance of water, bringing muscles into tone, and your body back to normal.
What results should be expected from water gymnastics?
- Strengthening the muscles. That is the reason we wrote above. It is important to know something else: water, “lightening” the body weight, reduces the load on the bones, therefore, water aerobic exercises are used to prevent diseases and crunch of the joints.Elderly people, pregnant women and patients who have suffered injuries can engage in water fitness.
- Slimming Overcoming water resistance, a person experiences a significant load, as a result of which there is a rapid fat burning. In addition, water gymnastics normalizes metabolism, which also contributes to the loss of extra pounds.
- The disappearance of cellulite. During classes in the water, your skin is subjected to a hydromassage, which kneads and breaks up fat cells, eliminating the "orange peel" on your thighs and buttocks.
- Skin Tightening.Water aerobicsnot only make muscles contract, but also tightens the skin, preventing it from sagging after losing weight.
- Posture adjustment. By introducing special exercises into the complex, you can correct your posture. However, this should be done under the supervision of an experienced coach.
- Improving blood circulation. Exercise in combination with the massaging effect of water causes blood to circulate faster, improving the blood supply to all organs of the body. There is a general healing effect: the legs cease to freeze, the brain well supplied with oxygen begins to delight with an excellent memory, the complexion changespasses a state of fatigue and irritability.
- Restoration of articular mobility. Age-related changes in the body always affect the joints, depriving a person of flexibility. Water minimizes the load on them, helping to gradually develop the bones with little or no pain.
- Hardening. The temperature of the water in the pool is significantly lower than body temperature, so each immersion causes the body to mobilize internal reserves and develop a protective reaction to the cold.
Do not hope for an instant effect from the exercises. Of course, starting to engage in water aerobics, the results can be seen in a month, but under certain conditions:
- regular visits to the pool are necessary - 2-3 times a week, without any passes;
- a good trainer who knows how to build a lesson and distribute the load on muscle groups.
Immediately clarify: you must be enrolled in a group with an appropriate level of physical fitness. There are three of them: the initial (the simplest exercises are performed, such as moving the leg, the exercise lasts 35-40 minutes), the average level (the complex of exercises is complicated, but the pace of performance is low, the occupation time is 1 hour) and advanced (the complex complex,high rate practically without interruptions, lesson lasts 1 hour).
What is the harm of "water fitness"?
Water gymnastics has its drawbacks, which in the fitness centers they try not to talk about. But we can not ignore them.
First, aqua aerobics has a number of contraindications and restrictions. Doctors advise people who have asthma and those who are prone to frequent allergic reactions to approach the development of this sport very carefully. In the former, the pressure of water on the chest can cause another attack, in the latter, the presence of chlorine in the pool can lead to an exacerbation of the disease.
You should not start to engage in water fitness, without first consulting with a doctor, people suffering from heart disease and frequent cramps. If you have recently suffered an injury, you should also consult with your doctor, who will tell you if you can get physical exertion at this stage of recovery and to what extent.
Secondly, do not forget about chlorine. As a rule, the administration of fitness centers assures its customers that modern water purification methods are used in their pool. However, many aqua centers continue to use chlorine,whose action on the human body can be compared with the effect of smoking. We list only some of the consequences:
- dry skin Water in itself dries the skin, but in combination with chlorine, the combination turns out to be lethal: the skin is strongly tightened, and you have to apply moisturizing and nourishing cosmetics. And to lubricate the whole body after each occupation is still a pleasure;
- hair loses shine and becomes brittle. Yes, aqua aerobics assumes the presence of a rubber cap on the head, but it is not airtight and does not save the hair from getting wet. Let's say more: the cap brings more benefit not to you, but to the administration of the pool, because it prevents hair from entering the water filtration system;
- reduced immunity. Chlorine suppresses the body's defenses, so water aerobics, one may say, gives with one hand, and selects the other;
- the appearance of thrush. In recent studies, a link was found between swimming in chlorinated water and the occurrence of candidiasis.
If all of the above does not scare you, then feel free to go to the pool.
Water aerobics - exercises for weight loss
Most often in aqua centers heldwater aerobics for weight loss. Healthy people can try to work out on their own at the initial stage. We will give the simplest set of exercises aimed at reducing body weight.
- Warm up takes 5-10 minutes. You have two options: swim or remember the exercises that you did in physical education classes at school, and repeat these exercises in the pool.
- Rinse hands. While waist-high in the water, bend forward and lower your arms. Turning the case either to the left or to the right, move your hands in the water, overcoming its resistance.
- Screw. With your back pressed against the side of the pool and holding your hands behind it, bend your knees and turn them alternately to the sides. The same exercise is performed with straight legs raised at a 90 ° angle and spread apart at shoulder width.
- Boxing. Being on a neck in water, imitate the blows of a boxer with hands forward and down.
- Jumping Sitting down in the water, jump sharply up, straightening his legs.
- Scissors. Having taken the initial position, described in the third paragraph, with straightened legs, do the exercise “scissors”.
- Kick. Standing straight and stretching your arms forward, throw your leg up and down sharply, making “strikes”.
Each exercise is repeated 10-15 times, in the first stage 2 approaches are made, and when you feel strong, bring up to three. At the end of your workout, swim for 5-10 minutes.
Is it possible to engage in water aerobics pregnant?
Aqua aerobics for pregnant women is not only not prohibited, but even recommended. The spine of a woman who is carrying a child is under serious strain, because, in addition to his usual weight, he also has to withstand an additional 10-15 kg. Archimedes force "facilitates" body weight, giving bones and joints a temporary respite.
Exercises themselves help a pregnant woman to maintain muscles in a good shape, without overloading the musculoskeletal system. Doctors assure: even stretch marks appear to be less common in water aerobics, and if they do, they disappear after childbirth much faster than the rest.
For more information about the effects of water gymnastics on pregnant women, see the plot: