Indications and recommendations for the use of the drug Advantan
Ointment Advantan is a medical medicine that is intended for external use. This tool actively helps in eliminating the symptoms of allergic reactions, while providing anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects on the skin.
Advantan is a non-halogenated steroid of synthetic origin, which suppresses the inflammatory process and prevents the appearance of external symptoms on the skin as a result of an allergic reaction.
The composition and form of the drug
Ointment Advantan quickly restores the integrity of the skin, relieves swelling and eliminates itching due to the action of the active ingredient - methylprednisolone, the concentration of which in the preparation is 0.1%. When applied externally to the skin, it penetrates deep into and forms a metabolite. This substance is capable in response to the appearance of histamines in the blood to prevent the formation of immune marker cells.
The drug is available in several forms, each of which is intended for external use:
- Ointment 0.1% in tubes from 5 to 50 grams. The main substance is methylprednisolone, auxiliary - white petrolatum and wax, liquid paraffin, emulsifier E and purified water.
- Ointment fat 0.1% in 15 g tubes and with the same active ingredient. Additional substances are: soft white and liquid heavy paraffin wax, microcrystalline wax, castor oil.
- Cream 0.1%, the main element of which is methylprednisolone aceponate, and as auxiliary ingredients are decyloleate, glycerin 85% and glycerol monostearate, solid fat, benzyl alcohol and cetosteryl, other elements, as well as purified water.
- Emulsion 0.1% with the same active element and other chemicals. Available in tubes of 20 gr. and 50 gr.
In what cases are used ointment forms?
Ointment Advantan (oily, cream), intended for external use, can be used to treat skin diseases and allergic manifestations not only in adults but also in children (from 4 months). According to the information contained in the instructions for use of this drug, the indications for using the ointment are as follows:
- different forms of dermatitis (atopic, simple, allergic, contact);
- all forms of eczema (dishydrotic, degenerative, true, microbial);
- atopic dermatitis with dry skin;
- Eczema in children.
Perhaps the treatment and other diseases, which are silent instructions for use. But in this case, the diagnosis and appointment should be made by a specialist. He will be able to determine the extent of the lesion and choose the optimal dosage.
Regarding the emulsion Advantan, its scope is not limited to the above skin diseases. In addition to these ailments, the emulsion can eliminate acute inflammation and eczema in children (from 4 months old and older), as well as sunburn.
How to apply the tool?
It is worth noting that before acquiring Advantan cream, ointment, or emulsion, it is necessary to determine the condition of the skin. Depending on the treatment of which the drug is used, and how affected the skin is, it is necessary to follow the instructions for use:
- Advantan ointment with a high percentage of fat is suitable for very dry skin;
- it is better to apply classical ointment on normal skin on which there are no wet or too dry sites;
- cream is recommended for use, if the skin has wet areas;
- The drug in the form of an emulsion will be an excellent tool in the treatment of sun dermatitis.
Does the remedy for hormonal?
Not many are interested in the question of the composition and action of the drug. However, going deep, it is worth answering the question of whether Advantan is a hormonal agent or not.
Given that the ointment, cream and emulsion Advantan include the active substance (methylprednisolone aceponate), which is a glucocorticoid hormone, you can safely answer that the drug belongs to hormones. Therefore, before using it, consult with your doctor and read the instructions for use.
The fact that Advantan ointment (cream, emulsion) is hormonal, prohibits its long-term use. In addition, it is not necessary to apply a rich layer of the agent. It is necessary to strictly follow the prescriptions of the attending physician. It should also be noted that not only Advantan, but also its analogues belong to the category of hormonal ones.
As with other medications, Advantan has contraindications for application and use in general. You can submit them in the form of a list:
- tuberculosis of the skin;
- elements of syphilis rash;
- areas of inflammation that were affected during viral diseases;
- first trimester of pregnancy and lactation;
- allergic reactions in response to vaccine administration;
- individual immunity of the drug, or its individual components.
The list of contraindications for use is quite wide, but despite this, many people prefer this drug. This is due to the effectiveness of the composition and its speed along with other means that do not have such characteristic advantages.
However, it is necessary to take into account what is not in the instructions. So, for example, using ointment or Advantan cream without prior consultation with a specialist, it is possible to cure only the external signs and symptoms of diseases.
In addition, this hormone ointment has a strong effect. It, as a rule, is prescribed by doctors in extremely neglected cases. Therefore, it is better to consult with a specialist and find a more optimal solution to the problem.
Possible adverse reactions
Regarding the occurrence of side effects, the instructions for use of the drug Advantan contains information on the following cases:
- the appearance of edema;
- peeling of the skin;
The drug Advantan is usually tolerated in any form (ointment, cream, emulsion) well. Side effects occur only with prolonged use of the tool and in copious amounts.