How to install spotlights?
Creating high-grade indoor lighting is an important aspect. After all, every corner of the room should bring a feeling of warmth and comfort, the appearance of which is impossible without a soft or bright light.
Among the abundance of chandeliers and ceilings are stylish spotlights for ceilings. These devices contribute to the creation of a uniform light, which is not the case with standard lamps hanging in the center of the ceiling. Therefore, they are increasingly being chosen by practical room owners who value the aesthetic beauty of the interior and comfort.
Types and their features
Having come to the store, we all face the problem of choice. The range of spotlights is surprising, but these are only differences in design.
In fact, there are 2 main types of data devices:
Rotary spotlights for gypsum ceilings and for their counterparts from other coatings allow you to direct brighter light to a certain point, creating accents and significantly increasing the level of comfort.Fixed lamps are designed for uniform illumination of the whole room.
In addition to the form of devices, experts recommend paying special attention to the type of light bulbs used.
After all, each species has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Incandescent lamps.Location is particularly important for these items. It is necessary to adhere to a safe distance from the ceiling to the ceiling, which is as much as 12 cm. If this rule is ignored, then there is a high risk of overheating and damage to the web. Among the advantages of incandescent bulbs in overhead structures is a closed type, the absence of complex interaction with current and full protection of the spiral. Accordingly, they are recommended to be used when arranging a bathroom, kitchen and bathroom. Also, this type of light bulb is quite affordable. But they also have a solid disadvantage - a short service life of about 1000 hours. Also, do not forget about the risk of overheating: incandescent lamps require additional protection from contact with the stretch ceiling canvas, so they are more often used in suspended plasterboard structures.
- Halogen lamps.These devices also require a certain distance between the ceiling and the ceiling, but it is much smaller and ranges from 6 cm. Galogenki differ in directional and bright light, the qualities of which significantly exceed those of incandescent lamps. The resource of such products ranges from 2000 to 4000 hours. However, it is worth remembering that using halogen lamps in overhead structures important to avoid glass contact with human hands during installation. Therefore, be sure to wear gloves.
- LED bulbs.These products are most suitable for suspended structures. An important aspect is the fact that the LED elements use direct current, not alternating current. Accordingly, each lamp has its own transmitter or it is the same for all embedded products. This is due to the lack of heat, long service life (up to 5 years) and small size. The only disadvantage that LED devices have is a rather high cost.
Only after selecting the appropriate light bulbs you can proceed to installation. However, to install spotlights for plasterboard ceilings and for suspended suspended structures should be by different methods. If you do not own them, it is better to immediately turn to professionals.
Installation of spotlights in the suspended ceiling
Today, the installation of suspended structures in fashion. However, the main stumbling block when installing a stretch ceiling is the organization of lighting. It should be done before the ceiling stretch, but after installing the frame.
The installation process consists of the following steps:
- Preparing fixtures. They should be selected in accordance with the diameter and type of platform used. Standard are parameters in the range of 60 - 85 mm, having a pitch of 5 mm.
- We identify the racks that are placed behind the ceiling. This is important, because the installation should take place without the slightest bias!
- Installation of reinforcing rings. Their location should strictly comply with the rack, because these elements are aimed at preventing tearing and damage to the canvas.
- Prepare a fabric or PVC film. We make a slot for the bulb strictly in the reinforcing ring and remove the wire to the outside.
- Fixation of the decorative part of the lamp (edging). Its installation is not difficult, but it is worth carrying out this process carefully so as not to damage the canvas.
- Connection This is the actual connection of the extracted wire and cartridge. Now it remains only to twist the light bulb (experts recommend using LED products) and the lamp is ready to work.
Installing spotlights for suspended ceilings is extremely difficult. After all, it is important to withstand the location of the elements, to exclude the slightest tilting and displacement, and also to work as carefully as possible so as not to damage the canvas.
If you are sure that you can handle it and the installation is not too complicated, then you can safely get to work. However, experts strongly recommend to trust this process to professionals, because when defects appear on the coating, you will have to replace the entire canvas, which is very expensive.
Installation of spotlights in a plasterboard ceiling
The organization of lighting in plasterboard suspended structures is also a delicate process. Here the installation is longer and more detailed.
Works are carried out in several stages:
- Preparatory work.Going to the store, you should purchase such goods: light bulbs (better LED), wires, the presence of terminal blocks with tin-plated copper sleeves is also important, stock up with electrical tape, plastic ties and switches. The calculation of the number of materials should be done on the basis that the distance between the lines of the luminaires should not exceed a meter, and the number and location of the recessed light bulbs in each row is not fundamental and depends on the design features of your interior. Also it is worth considering that you should not use light bulbs with a capacity of over 40 watts. The wires should be with a cross section of 0.75 (optimally 1.5) and insulated with PVC plastic. This will prevent overheating, and recessed lights will be safe. In addition, the filling of the wires should be chosen the same as that of the main wiring: copper to copper, and aluminum to aluminum.
- The implementation of the markup.Having bought the necessary embedded materials, it is worth to begin planning the location of the lamps. Note that the markup must be ready before the installation of drywall! First, determine the location of the localization of profiles that fix the frame and sheets, and then mark the location of the lamps. It is important that the profile does not coincide with the light bulb!
- Installation work aimed at creating a power grid and ceiling.Modern spotlights for plasterboard ceilings are installed after fixing the frame. First we draw the wires and carry out their connection to the marked points and fixation in the places where the location of the spotlights will be. It is important to form loops of wires 15 cm long for each future light bulb, and the fixing elements must be reliable, but not too squeezing, it is optimal to use specific ties. Now is the time to install sheets of drywall and finish them.
- Installation of fixtures.Holes should be made strictly in accordance with the plan and markings on the ceiling. The diameter of the drilled cavities should correspond to the size of the lamp and even be slightly smaller than the decorative part, which will be visible from the outside. So recessed items will have excellent appearance without gaps and defects. We extract the wire from the holes, clean the insulating layer and make the connection. These stages of work are required regardless of what kind of light bulbs you choose: halogen or LED. Now is the time to check the correctness of the connection.Place LED or other light bulbs in the lamps and turn on the power. If the light came on, it means you did everything right.
Useful advice: installing recessed lights in the holes created, it is necessary to compress the spring (it has the form of antennae). After you let go of the arm, the spring is straightened and the fixture is firmly fixed.
As you can see, no matter what kind of light bulbs you choose (LED, halogen or incandescent), installation work will be carried out strictly in accordance with generally accepted rules.
Before you do them yourself think: are you 100% confident in your abilities? If so, then self-organization of lighting in a room with false ceilings will be successful.