How to eat with diabetes?
Diabetes is not treated.
But there are a number of rules governing lifestyle and nutrition, the observance of which will make the life of a patient with diabetes look like the life of healthy people.
What is it?
Diabetes mellitus is a problem with the production of insulin, a hormone that controls the processing of sugar into carbohydrates. The body does not have time to produce the right amount of hormone, sugar enters the blood and kidneys.
Blood sugar is a reduced immunity, deterioration of vision, inhibition of cell renewal processes, deterioration of the reproductive system, as well as destruction of the circulatory system - the vessels lose elasticity and become brittle.
From year to year the number of people with diabetes increases. It is impossible to cure the disease, but it is possible to slow down its development, for this it is necessary to follow certain rules.
- Adhere to proper nutrition is the main path to the success of the disease. In order to help the sick, nutritionists have developed a special diet, which received a number designation: "Diet 9 for diabetes."
- Provide physical activity, exercise.During active movement a person consumes a large amount of energy, and, consequently, the amount of sugar increases, which is processed into high-molecular-weight carbohydrates. Accordingly, the amount of sugar that is contained in the blood decreases.
- Blood sugar levels need to be checked daily. This will not only allow you to monitor its content, but also provide the doctor with the opportunity to develop a personalized nutrition schedule based on fluctuations in blood sugar levels.
- Mandatory requirement - stop smoking and give up any alcoholic beverages.
- Do not wear tight clothes and shoes. Pants should not press on the stomach, and shoes - on the fingers. Do not create additional difficulties to your blood vessels, already oppressed by diabetes.
- Avoid injuries and cuts. Vessels that have lost elasticity cause slow healing of wounds in people with diabetes.
- Every six months, you need to check your vision and examine the fundus of the eye.
Nutrition for diabetes
The basis of nutrition should be a diet of 9 with diabetes. It includes extremely healthy food, rich in carbohydrates and coarse fibers.
The diet should not include or limit the following products to a minimum:
- fast-absorbing carbohydrates, which are many in baking, cakes, butter cream;
- dishes are fried, spicy, salty, rich broths;
- semi-finished food products;
- sweet fruits, such as bananas, raisins, grapes;
- all fats of animal origin - butter, sour cream, margarine, mayonnaise;
- rice and semolina, pasta.
For those who believe that the food acceptable for diabetes cannot be tasty, look at this salad recipe: 80 g of beetroot and 100 g of potato are taken for 200 g of sauerkraut. You will need more vegetable oil and to taste the onions. Beets with potatoes baked in the microwave, cleaned and cut into cubes. Cabbage must be squeezed out, and if too sour - rinse with cold water. Mix it with potatoes and beets, add chopped onion and season with butter.
What to eat with diet number 9
This diet is actively recommended by doctors to all those who suffer from diabetes. It is recommended to eat low-fat dairy products, vegetable soups, oatmeal or buckwheat, rye bread, green tea, apples.
If you stick to this menu, the food will help fight the disease, and not cause harm. If you do not use contraindicated products, you can lead a lifestyle characteristic of healthy people.
The products included in the diet, the same as for normal food, the only difference in reduced calorie intake. The rate of calories per day is 1600 calories.
Here is a sample menu for this diet:
- Breakfast can be buckwheat cereal with a steam patty, drink milk or tea.
- At the second breakfast you can drink a glass of kefir.
- Lunch - cabbage soup, boiled meat with stewed cabbage, apple.
- Snack - yeast drink.
- For dinner - mushroom stew of potatoes, boiled fish with sauerkraut, milk or tea.
- Before going to bed - a glass of kefir.
And no more than 250 grams of bread throughout the day. As you can see, the food is quite abundant, but fractional, distributed six times.
What to do to avoid diabetes
There are several factors that can significantly reduce the risk of diabetes:
- a decrease of 5% in body weight by 20% reduces the risk of diabetes;
- eating fat no more than 30% of the daily diet can reduce the risk of developing diabetes by 10%;
- Increasing the duration of physical exertion can reduce the risk of diabetes by 10%.