Photos and text of Marina Lystseva
In ancient Russia there were several cities that were distinguished by the people for their strength and military skill, for the skill of craftsmen and artisans. And the people also nicknamed Great. Near Veliky Novgorod, Rostov Veliky stands one of the most remarkable ancient cities of the Russian North - Veliky Ustyug. Prince of "All Russia" Ivan IV included the city in the number of oprichnykh and Ustyug became known as the Great.
And, yes, this is the very birthplace of the All-Russian Father Frost.
1. On the route Vologda-Syktyvkar from the bridge over the Sukhona this view of the city opens.
2. For the first time in the Russian annals the city of Veliky Ustyug was mentioned in 1207, which Vsevolod gave the Big Nest to one of his sons.
3. Great Ustyug was part of the Novgorod principality. Novgorod itself owned almost all the lands of the Russian north, which were rich in wild animals, fish, salt and berries.
5. The city is elongated along the left bank of the Sukhona River, slightly above the mouth and named along the mouth of the river - Ust-Yug (Ustyug). Here, four kilometers from the modern city, the Rostov-Suzdal princes founded the first settlement on a high mountain.
6A distinctive feature of the city is the absence of antique wooden structures. Since the XVII century, new construction is carried out only of brick and wooden temples are also replaced by stone.
7. The main temple ensemble - Cathedral courtyard. This monument includes the Assumption Cathedral with a bell tower, the Cathedral of Procopius the Righteous, the Cathedral of St. John of Ustyug, the Bishops' House, as well as several other churches.
8. The cathedral court is located in the city center between the Sukhona river embankment and Sovetsky avenue.
10. Cathedral of Procopius of Ustyug.
11. Assumption Cathedral.
12. On the river like to drive on snowmobiles.
13. Church of St. Nicholas Gostunskybuilt in the 1680s. next to the main market square of the city and united in itself trade and religion. In some sources, the church is called "Gostinskaya", from the respectful name of visiting merchants - "guests". This is the first two-tier church in Ustyug. After restoration in 1986, the church was turned into a gallery of local art.
14. The earliest building of the surviving monuments of stone architecture - the Church of the Assumption on the Market (1648) ...
15. AndChurch of St. Sergius of Radonezh(XVIII century), which is located in Dymkovo Sloboda.In winter, it is possible to cross to the opposite bank in Dymkovo in 10 minutes - just a river to cross the ice.
16. This place is not popular with tourists, I had to make my way to the church through the snowdrifts, constantly falling down above the knee in the snow ...
17. Plus there is still a strong wind from the river, sweeping traces in just a few minutes.
18. In the crawling race for unusual angles, I was pleased.
19. Through the arch offers a beautiful view of the city.
22. The village of Dymkovo itself is very popular in some places.
23. And if it were not for crawling wires and new-fashioned siding into the frame, it would be unclear what century you are in.
25. Since 1998, many people know about Veliky Ustyug, that he is the birthplace of Russian Santa Claus and, unfortunately, Veliky Ustyug is now associated only with this fantastic character. Honestly, I never believed in him))
26. Embankment street is nice to the eye.
27. Krasnoarmeyskaya street.
29. The back yard of the children's museum center.
31. Elias Church.
32. From a different angle from Dymkovo.
33. Leontief Church.
34. The birds here are not even needed to be fed - they stick their hands themselves, only stretch out your palm.