3 simplest ways to make a water filter with your own hands
Depending on the activity and weather conditions, a person can survive without water for 9-10 days, or even 2-3. Therefore, it is important to always have a supply with you when going on a camping trip or somewhere where there may not be sources of drinking water. But what to do if you still find yourself in some extreme conditions? We will show you how to get out and make a good water filter with your own hands, as well as tell you how to create such a cleaner for home or garden.
Simple portable water filter
In order to design a water filter for yourself, we need:
- two identical plastic bottles with lids;
- plastic tube with a neck diameter;
- glue gun;
- drill with a drill bit, or a strong sharp knife.
And now we learn how to make a water filter:
- Unscrew both caps from the bottles and glue them together on the front side using hot-melt glue from the gun.
- Twist a drill bit with a diameter of 20 mm into the drill and drill a through hole in the glued covers. In extreme conditions, it can be cut through with a camp knife, but you will have to tinker a little longer and maintain accuracy.
- Insert a plastic tube into the hole. Its length should be slightly shorter than the height of the plastic bottle.
- Take your bottles and screw them into the caps on both sides. One of the bottles at the same time will be worn on a plastic tube.
Water filter with your hands ready! But how to clean the water with it? Let's check:
- Unscrew the empty bottle from this device and pour water into it that needs to be cleaned. Take any muddy water with mud to better notice the difference.
- Put the bottle on the table and screw the second part of the design into it through the cap.
- Leave the bottle somewhere in the sun or, if possible, cover it with a black cloth to enhance heat absorption. And you can immediately use a black plastic bottle.
- After a few hours, check out how our filter is doing. You will find that the liquid evaporates from the first tank and goes down the tube into the catchment tank, settling on its walls and flowing down.And the condensed water looks absolutely clean, just like bottled water from the store!
- When enough water is collected, unscrew the catchment bottle, turn it over and unscrew the cap with the tube - that's all, you can enjoy some clean water! The truth is better to boil it before use, if you have heat-resistant dishes and the ability to make a fire.
If you try to make this filter with your own hands at home, then no problems should arise. In extreme conditions, of course, you have to use a knife instead of a drill, and think about where to get a plastic tube, or what it can be replaced with. But water bottles and superglue are usually carried by any traveler.
How to make a water filter with your own hands home or to the country
If you want to learn how to purify water, for example, at a dacha or at home, without waiting for condensate to form in a small bottle, then there is nothing difficult in this either. You can build a simplest water filter with your own hands according to the well-known scheme: dirty water → filtration material → filtered water.
As a filter tank, you can use a 19-liter bottlelet from under bottled water,and, as a receiving container, a glass bottle or other container with a neck that fits the size. The materials for homemade filters made by hand are often river and quartz sand, charcoal, activated coal, gravel backfill, and others.
- The receiving bottle should be placed on the table, and a container for dirty water should be put on the neck with the top of it on the top of the bottle, cutting off the bottom itself on the top.
- Then it is necessary to pour filter materials into the container, but not mixing them, but spreading layer by layer. The more different layers you have, the more effective the filtering. In this case, coal is better to fall asleep to the bottom, and put the sand under the gravel, and not vice versa.
- Put a folded piece of cloth in the neck, pieces of cotton or gauze, which also act as a filtration layer.
- Pour dirty water into the tank and wait until it passes the cleaning cycle. Repeat. Boil water in an electric kettle or on the fire. Done!
Another interesting way to do the water filter with your own hands, look in this video:See also: You can never guess what can be made of plastic bottles!